Unfortunately, with iOS 5, Apple completely changed how “local notifications” are handled. Now, the user has to enable each app for local notifications if they want to receive alerts in the background. I only figured this out recently since it wasn’t documented very well, which is too bad.
You can follow the following steps to get your alarms working in the background:
- Go to the Settings app that comes with your iPhone
- Navigate to the “Notifications” section
- Find “London Bus Buddy” in your list of apps. Click on it to go to a more detailed page.
- Turn the “Notification Center” switch ON.
- Choose “Alerts” under the “Alert Style” section
- Turn the “Badge App Icon” switch ON.
- Turn the “Sounds” switch ON.
If you’re checking this on your iPhone, you should know that you can multitask by double-tapping on your home button (a few people aren’t aware of this, so I thought it would be worth pointing out). That way, you can look at these instructions while changing your settings.
Anyways, this should solve any problems you have with the alarm. Hopefully, this helps you out! If not, contact me with your questions.